Thursday 22 December 2011

The British Newspaper Archives

Earlier this month I was offered the opportunity to beta test the new The British Newspaper Archive
This is a joint venture between The British Library and brightsolid  (the company behind ScotlandsPeople and FindMyPast) to digitise and make available online up to 40 million newspaper pages from the collection of the British Library.
At present there are over 3 million pages on the website but this is added to daily. The dates range from the early 1700’s to the 1940’s.
Some of the newspapers have previously been available through the British Newspapers database which is free to access from many libraries in the UK, bur quite a few articles are on line for the first time.
The archive is free to search but to view results it is necessary to purchase a subscription but you can get the gist of the article from the small sample this gives you enough information to determine whether an article is likely to be relevant to your search.
I was lucky with the units I purchase for the 48 hour trial I was able to get at least 200 articles for my Hudgells some giving me extra information to add to what I had, or in a lot of cases new information that I hadn’t got already
Why not take a look and judge for yourselves.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment